Young Hamilton Artists Head Into Battle at Intense Event
A group of young Hamilton artists is gearing up for battle.
Shalem's RE-create Outreach Arts Studio is hosting their fifth annual Battle of the Brushes on Thursday (Sept. 26) evening. The event is RE-create's only fundraising event for the year.
For the battle, 16 local artists will go head-to-head to each create a work of art using acrylic or watercolour paints on paper or canvas in just 30 minutes.
At the end of the first round, the audience votes for their favourite pieces, determining which eight artists advance to the second round. By the end of the evening, the audience votes determine the top three artists.
The event takes place at Hamilton's historic Cotton Factory on Sherman Avenue, which has been transformed in recent years into a creative arts centre. DJ Jon Corbin will set the soundtrack for the evening and artists will have a chance to participate in a free relaxation and meditation demonstration with Aviva Yoga Studio before heading into battle.
All the artwork will be auctioned off and all proceeds will go towards supporting the drop-in art studio for artists ages 16 to 24.
Tickets are available for $15 in advance online, or $20 cash at the door.
- LATEST: Ontario up to 3,630 confirmed cases, with 147 in Hamilton
- 5 incredible pictures from Hamilton's past
- City of Hamilton transitioning seven retirement home residents to hospitals
- 'It's like a bad movie,' says Hamilton mayor of provincial COVID-19 modelling
- Province issues another emergency alert in response to COVID-19
- Relief fund for Canadian performing artists gets $100,000 boost
- Hamilton arts organization wins prestigious national prize
- Epic Battle Comes to Hamilton
- Jays, Leafs, Raptors, TFC, Argos team up to create special assistance fund for event staff
- Four Arrested at People's Party Fundraiser Event in Hamilton