VIDEO: Ron MacLean's speech on the controversy and end of Coach's Corner
One week after Don Cherry made controversial comments on Hockey Night in Canada which soon led to him being fired from the program, co-host Ron MacLean has taken the opportunity to address the controversy and the end of Coach’s Corner.
During the usual time slot when he would host Coach’s Corner with Cherry, MacLean instead addressed the audience directly to give his thoughts on the whole ordeal.
“We are all hurting. I have collapsed a hundred times this week if not more. We’re all disappointed,” MacLean said, who announced that Coach’s Corner is no more.
The controversy began on Saturday, November 9, when Cherry criticized newcomers to Canada who he says don’t wear poppies to honour the country’s veterans.
“You people […] you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,” Cherry said. “These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price.”
MacLean says he spent the week after that show reflecting on the way he handled Cherry’s remarks, ultimately standing by his decision to apologize and choose his principles over his friendship with Cherry.
“I felt so bad, and I apologized immediately,” he said. “And Don, you know Don… there were steps that needed to be taken because of what had been said by Don, and he didn’t want to do those steps. So he made his choice and I made mine.”
MacLean concluded by thanking Cherry for what he’s meant to the game of hockey.
The full video can be seen here:
Cherry, who has refused to apologize for his remarks, recently made a statement on Twitter thanking everyone who’s reached out to him in the past week.
Again, I want to thank everyone who has called emailed, dropped by the house this past week. It will take weeks to personally get back to everyone, so I am again, thanking you all now. God Bless you all for your support, Donald S Cherry— Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerDC) November 16, 2019
Photo and video courtesy of CBC
- One man dead in double shooting in Hamilton
- Victim in fatal Burlington shooting identified as notorious Hamilton crime boss
- Hamilton grandmother to spoil grandkids with lotto winnings
- No mask, no service: City of Hamilton moving toward mandatory face coverings
- A special weather statement in effect for Hamilton
- UPDATE: Coach's Corner host Ron MacLean apologizes for Don Cherry's controversial remarks
- Don Cherry fired from Hockey Night in Canada
- Don Cherry sparks controversy with "You people" comment
- Don Cherry appears on Fox News to speak out against his firing
- Unpopular Opinion: 'Free speech' is not a thing and good riddance to 'Grapes'