UPDATE: Coach's Corner host Ron MacLean apologizes for Don Cherry's controversial remarks
Responding to the controversy surrounding Don Cherry’s remarks during Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday, Coach’s Corner host Ron MacLean has apologized for his co-host’s remarks.
“Don Cherry made remarks which were hurtful, discriminatory, which were flat out wrong,” MacLean said. “We at Sportsnet have apologized. We know diversity is the strength of the country.”
Cherry came under fire after criticizing who he believed were new immigrants to Canada for not wearing poppies, causing backlash among the community.
“You people […] you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,” Cherry said on Saturday.
MacLean has also apologized for his own inaction while Cherry was making the comments.
“I owe you an apology, too. That’s the big thing that I want to emphasize. I sat there, did not catch it, did not respond,” he said.
“Last night was a really great lesson to Don and me. We were wrong and I sincerely apologize, and I wanted to thank you for calling me and Don on that last night.”
MacLean’s full apology can be seen below:
Sportsnet also issued an apology earlier on Sunday, saying Cherry’s remarks did not represent the network’s values.
“We have spoken with Don about the severity of the issue and we sincerely apologize for these divisive remarks,” said Bart Yabsley, president of Sportsnet.
Photo and video courtesy of CityNews Toronto
- Hamilton Police involved in investigation in East Hamilton, residents asked to avoid area
- Ontario to introduce bill to extend some emergency measures over the next year
- Paying for parking in Hamilton just got easier (and more expensive!)
- City of Hamilton amends bylaw to make way for more patios
- LATEST: Hamilton's Santa Claus Parade cancelled
- VIDEO: Ron MacLean's speech on the controversy and end of Coach's Corner
- Don Cherry fired from Hockey Night in Canada
- Don Cherry sparks controversy with "You people" comment
- Don Cherry appears on Fox News to speak out against his firing
- Unpopular Opinion: 'Free speech' is not a thing and good riddance to 'Grapes'