UNSOLVED: Retired Hamilton schoolteacher found brutally murdered
Audrey Gleave, by all accounts, led a quiet life at her secluded, rural home in Lynden.
She was a well-respected retired teacher who had a small, close-knit group of friends. She is said to have been incredibly intelligent and a proud dog owner who was fiercely protective of her privacy.
Her life, Hamilton police say, was one of strict routine and was spent rather reclusively.
One frigid December morning in 2010 a friend who had plans with Gleave that day went to check on her and arrived at her home only to stumble across a gruesome scene: Gleave was on the ground in her garage apparently covered in blood and lifeless.
The friend immediately called 911 and police and EMS/Fire responded but Gleave had obviously been deceased for some time, police say.
Gleaves suffered stab wounds and other injuries. Police officers, at the time, also suggested that there was a "sexual component" to her death.
At the time, responding officers are reported to have said that it was one of the most 'savage' crime scenes they'd come across.
Gleave was 74 years old at the time of her murder.
Police say they can not discern a motive for Gleave's murder and they say there is every reason to believe that her murder was carried out by someone who knew her and her routines.
Not long after Gleave's body was found, a man was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the death but after a few months, the charges were dropped and the man was set free.
To this day, Gleave's murder remains unsolved.
Anyone with information about this homicide is asked to contact S/Sgt Dave Oleniuk of the Major Crime Unit at 905-546-3829.
- Police intervene after hundreds pack Hamilton parking lot for street racing event
- Police working to lay charges after hundreds gather in Hamilton for street racing event
- 17 Hamilton school bus routes cancelled
- Five places to go apple picking in Hamilton this Fall
- All COVID-19 cases in Hamilton schools for the week of September 14 to 19
- First-degree murder charge dropped for 18-year-old suspect in Bracci-Selvey murder
- UNSOLVED: Hamilton woman found murdered in her home in 1991
- Hamilton man arrested in Brantford murder, one suspect outstanding: Police
- UNSOLVED: Decades later, Hamilton nurse's vicious murder haunts those left behind
- Stoney Creek man charged with first-degree murder in death of David Stevens