UNSOLVED: New Year's Eve party ends in tragedy for Hamilton father
Marley Rowe was celebrating the dawn of a new year when the unimaginable happened.
The 23-year-old father of an infant son was shot outside an 'after hours' New Years eve party in the early morning hours of Jan. 1, 2014.
Hamilton Police were called to the scene on Sherman near Barton Street at approximately 4:40 am to reports of a shooting. When police arrived, most of the 50 to 60 people in attendance at the party had dispersed, and they discovered Rowe with a gunshot wound to the head in the building's back parking lot.
There were a number of people who remained on the scene who, police say, were performing first aid on Rowe in an effort to keep him alive.
Rowe was eventually transported to Hamilton General Hospital but he was never revived, police say.
He was Hamilton’s first homicide of 2014.
Hamilton Police say that Rowe was not known to them and he had a reputation for being a hard worker and good-natured.
There is speculation that the murder is the result of mistaken identity, carried out by someone who was seeking retaliation over an incident from earlier in the night.
Police say they conducted an extensive investigation, and despite the fact there were probably several eye-witnesses to the shooting, no one has come forward.
Rowe's murder remains unsolved to this day.
In the wake of the tragedy, Rowe's mother, Sherri Bonnallie, has been very vocal in her battle against gun violence in the city of Hamilton and beyond.
HPS continues to investigate this matter and a reward of $50,000 is available to the person who comes forward with information that leads to an arrest (or arrests).
Anyone with information about this homicide is being asked to contact S/Sgt Peter Thom of the Major Crime Unit at 905-546-2458.
Image courtesy the Marley Rowe Memorial Facebook page.
- Back to school in Hamilton: Here's the public school board's latest plan for reopening
- Several downtown Hamilton roads closed for police investigation
- Hamilton man facing several charges in relation to downtown drug bust
- Hamilton-born Eugene Levy wins lifetime achievement award
- Hamilton has a new not-so-secret stealthy pop-up patio
- UNSOLVED: Hamilton Father Killed During 2015 Home Invasion
- Hamilton Police urge witnesses to double homicide to come forward
- UPDATE: Police seeking public's assistance in Hamilton's 6th homicide of the year
- Police issue plea for information on murder of Hamilton father
- Hamilton Police have made arrest in city's sixth homicide in 2020