These new schools in Hamilton need names
What's in a name?
Actually, quite a lot, it turns out.
The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) is asking Hamiltonians to weigh in on the names of two new elementary schools in the city.
Both schools in question are currently under construction.
The new school on the Greensville site in Dundas will serve students currently attending Spencer Valley Elementary School and Millgrove Elementary School.
The other new school on the Memorial site in Stoney Creek will serve students currently attending Memorial Stoney Creek and Mountain View Elementary School.
The HWDSB asks that the suggested names should:
- Reflect HWDSB's vision, mission, commitments and community composition
- Provide inspiration to students
- Have community and district acceptance
- Be appropriate for the whole district
- Have local community, district, provincial, Canadian or international significance
- Address under-represented groups
Anyone wishing to offer their input on the names of the schools can do so online here.
Those who would like to offer a name suggestion for more than one site can take the survey again.
Submissions will help the Naming Committee choose a name that will benefit students, staff and community. All responses will remain anonymous and will be reported back in a general format.
The online survey will be up until Friday, Feb. 28, 2020, until 4 p.m.