Some of Canada's top employers are right here in Hamilton
Forbes released their list of the top employers in Canada this week and there are some familiar names among the top 300.
The list, released Tuesday (Jan. 28), compiled in partnership with research firm Statista, was compiled by surveying 8,000 Canadians working for businesses with at least 500 employees.
The City of Hamilton, McMaster University, Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) and Arcelor Mittal Dofasco were the local companies to make the list.
The City of Hamilton, which employs 6,725 people, was ranked at 105.
Earlier this, the General Issues Committee actually received a budget report from the city manager's office. In it, councillors were offered a glimpse of statistics from the city's Human Resources department. Below is a slide from the presentation. It may provide some insight into why the City made the list.
One of the city's largest employers, McMaster University, with 15,900 employees, came in at 111.
HHS employs 15,000 people and came in at 164 on the Forbes list and Dofasco rounded out the Hamilton contingent at 237 and employs 5,000 people.
All of the employee surveys were conducted anonymously, allowing participants to openly share their opinions, according to Forbes methodology.
The respondents were asked to rate, on a scale of zero to 10, how likely they'd be to recommend their employer to others. Statista then asked respondents to nominate organizations other than their own.
And the final list ranks the 300 employers that received the most recommendations.
The Top 3 employers in Canada, according to the list, are: Cisco Systems (#3) based out of Toronto; No. 2 is Hydro Quebec, a utility company in Montreal; and No. 1 is Google, whose Canadian headquarters is in Toronto.
- Police searching for suspect of attempted murder at park in Hamilton
- Hamilton man wins massive lotto cash prize
- Hamilton residents asked to cut back on outdoor water use
- Hamilton man to use lotto winnings to honour late wife
- UPDATE: Hamilton Police seek public's help in locating missing 15-year-old girl
- City of Hamilton recognized as a top employer in Hamilton-Niagara Region
- These are the most family-friendly employers in Canada
- Hamilton's Mohawk College named among Canada's greenest employers
- Unifor urging employers refrain from causing delays to employees EI payments
- City Announces Hamilton's Top 40 Fastest Growing Companies