Public school board in Hamilton sees uptick in number of students enrolled in remote classes
Hamilton's public school board says that a significant increase in the number of students enrolled in remote school could push back the start of online learning.
In a press release issued Monday (Sept. 14), the same day schools started welcoming some students back to classrooms, the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) announced that more than 8,000 students had enrolled in remote school.
That's almost 2,000 more than previously reported.
"We have 80 new classes joining us, in addition to the 240 classes that we already have set up in our school," the release said.
"We are actively finalizing the hiring of more than 90 educators as a result of this increase. Due to a higher demand for French Immersion, there may be a delay in offering the program."
As of Monday, the board said they were confident most students would have a schedule by the end of day Tuesday, as they work towards hiring more teachers, some students might see their start times pushed to Friday.
"While we are confident that we will continue to start on time, we are asking parents and guardians for their patience should there be some adjustments for our school's opening plan," the release said.
The Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board (HWCDSB) also announced on Monday that they had to push back the start of their virtual learning to later this week due to a massive power outage in Hamilton that interfered with communications and presented some technical difficulties.
- Police intervene after hundreds pack Hamilton parking lot for street racing event
- Police working to lay charges after hundreds gather in Hamilton for street racing event
- 17 Hamilton school bus routes cancelled
- Five places to go apple picking in Hamilton this Fall
- All COVID-19 cases in Hamilton schools for the week of September 14 to 19
- Hamilton's Catholic board forced to delay start of virtual school due to power outage
- Hamilton's Catholic school board makes masks mandatory for all students
- Back to school in Hamilton: Here's the public school board's latest plan for reopening
- Hamilton public school board manages to further reduce elementary class sizes
- Hamilton public school board extends deadline for elementary registration