Police arrest man wanted for firing shots at officers in Hamilton
After a two week investigation, police have arrested Jamie Dryden, who was wanted for allegedly firing shots at officers in Hamilton.
Shortly before 10:00 p.m. on January 31, police responded to a report of a suspicious male in the area of Barton Street East and Ottawa Street North.
As officers arrived at the scene, the suspect reportedly began to flee on foot.
“When officers pursued the suspect, he brandished a firearm and fired multiple gunshots in the direction of officers,” police said. “Officers continued to chase after the suspect and as they caught up to him, he positioned a female between himself and the officers to deter his arrest. He was last seen in the area of Britannia Avenue.”
Hours later, a resident in the area confronted a male she discovered on her property, who fled after a physical altercation. The resident sustained minor injuries.
A two week investigation was conducted by the Hamilton Police Service Division 20 Criminal Investigation Branch with assistance from the Hamilton Police Intelligence Unit, Forensic Unit, the Provincial ROPE squad, the Ontario Provincial Police Service, Brantford Police Service, Niagara Regional Police Service, and other neighbouring police agencies.
Investigators gathered evidence that led them to an address in the Brier Park area in Brantford. Around 8:00 a.m. on Friday, February 14, officers attended the area and successfully arrested Dryden, who was returned to Hamilton.
There is currently no word on what charges will be laid against Dryden, but investigators anticipate laying additional charges as the investigation continues.
- Another Hamilton long-term care home has declared a COVID-19 outbreak
- Big changes coming to HSR as they ramp up physical distancing measures
- Police say they are not ticketing drivers for having more than one person in a vehicle
- Police searching for missing 83-year-old man from Hamilton
- Hamilton family gifts $3.3M to local hospitals, researchers to help battle COVID-19
- Police searching for suspect believed to have fired shots at officers
- Hamilton Police ask for help locating suspect who shot at officers
- Hamilton man charged after allegedly firing pellet gun at police officers
- Hamilton Police issue arrest warrant for man considered armed and dangerous
- Hamilton man arrested in Brantford murder, one suspect outstanding: Police