Original Hamilton bakery Voortman closing area retail shop
The cookie born in Hamilton and sold throughout North America is closing its area retail store.
Voortman, which originated as a Hamilton bakery in 1951, is shutting down its Burlington shop due to COVID-19.
But don't worry cookie lovers, you won't be missing out on your favourite treats.
The North Service Rd. plant that clearly stands out when you are driving along the QEW, will continue to operate and be available at all regular shopping outlets. The retail aspect was deemed expendable because of health concerns over the coronavirus
In a letter to customers posted on its website, the company said that because of the store's direct proximity to the manufacturing plant, it was necessary to stop selling directly to the public to ensure the safety of the production staff.
"COVID-19 has changed our world, how we live, how we interact with each other and ultimately how we work and do business. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, it is important for businesses to ensure they are focusing on their key strengths," reads the message.
"For our team at Voortman, this is baking excellent cookies for you, our beloved customers!"
The company was founded by brothers William and Harry Voortman as teenagers who set up shop in the back of a rented Hamilton house and sold their product door-to-door.
As the operation grew, so did the need to expand their facilities and by 1956 Voortman moved to Burlington has been there ever since. The company has changed hands a few times and most recently was purchased by Hostess Brands earlier this year.
Voortman sells 60 different variety of cookies and is considered the biggest seller of creme wafers and sugar-free cookies in North America. All cookies are produced at the Burlington plant.
- Police intervene after hundreds pack Hamilton parking lot for street racing event
- Police working to lay charges after hundreds gather in Hamilton for street racing event
- 17 Hamilton school bus routes cancelled
- Five places to go apple picking in Hamilton this Fall
- All COVID-19 cases in Hamilton schools for the week of September 14 to 19
- Top 5 places in Hamilton to get fresh-baked cookies
- Tim Hortons' Smile Cookies Return to Hamilton For a Limited Time
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: 'Loin-clothed plant chucker' in North Hamilton
- Popular pot retailer opens second Hamilton shop on James North
- Favourite Hamilton ice cream shop and tea room will be closing soon