Mayor inducts 20 people into Order of Hamilton
Published January 18, 2024 at 12:30 pm
Mayor Andrea Horwath has added 20 names to the Order of Hamilton in recognition of their “outstanding voluntary contributions” to the community.
The Order of Hamilton has inducted 60 people since its inception in 2019. This year the city received a record number of nominees, more than three times the number put forward last year.
“This year’s award recipients span the spectrum of community involvement, highlighting diverse backgrounds that have shaped our city in many meaningful ways, from raising more than 2-million pounds of food through the Ancaster Food Drive to founding the Hamilton Black Film Festival,” the city wrote.
“I want to sincerely congratulate all recipients of The Order of Hamilton for their contributions to this city. Volunteers make a monumental difference in building a stronger community and improving the lives of all who live here and I’m so proud that Hamilton is home to such wonderful and caring individuals,” said Mayor Andrea Horwath.
The awards will be presented at three Mayor’s New Year’s Levees on Jan. 18, 19 and 20. The honorees include;
- Lohifa Pogoson Acker, “a community builder, entrepreneur, hair artist and business owner.”
- Comfort Afari, a “transformative” leader of the local Ghanaian Association
- Zahid Butt, founding director of the Pakistan Business Association
- Patty Cameron, an advocate “dedicated to matters of disability and accessibility”
- Dennis Concordia, “a passionate advocate for many local charitable and not-for-profit causes”
- Lorraine Cohen, leader of the Ancaster Rotary Club and Hamilton Jewish Federation volunteer
- Edward (Ed) Dunn, a 50-year volunteer at numerous local organizations
- Joana Fejzaj, Empowerment Squared volunteer
- Terri Johns, YWCA Hamilton and West End Home Builder’s Association board president
- Hoo-Jung Jones, author of Canadians Our Heroes – 1950 – 1953 – Korean War, volunteer with 40,000 hours, President of Hamilton Folks Art Heritage Council
- James Kemp, volunteer with Ability First Fair, Buskerfest and the Concession Streetfest etc. Committee for Persons with Disabilities member
- Betty Kobayashi; Japanese internment survivor, founding member of the Ancaster Food Drive,
- Jim LoPresti, founding member of the Ancaster Food Drive
- Michael Macaluso; business owner, Young Entrepreneurs & Professionals Division of the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, Tiger-Cats and Bulldogs advocate
- Anton Plas, founder of the Ancaster Mill Race and Music at Fieldcote concerts, President of the Ancaster Society for the Performing Arts
- Art Samson, Dundas City Councillor, Chair and Trustee of the Hamilton Wentworth Catholic District School Board, Hamilton City Councillor, HWCDSB coach, Rotary club member
- Dr. Myles Sergeant; co-founder of the Shelter Health Network, Trees for Hamilton and Partnerships for Environmental Action by Clinicians and Communities for Hospitals/Health Care Facilities
- Shahnaz Tehseen; CEO and Director of Shaz Investments Inc., Vice-President and Director of the Pakistan Business Association, Realtor with Century 21, and President and Director of Canpak Hamilton
- Paize Usiosefe, founder and director of the Hamilton Black Film Festival
- Nadeem Younis, volunteer for Nisa Homes, a shelter for Muslim women fleeing abuse, Mishka Social Services to provide halal meat, Namal Foundation and Islamic Relief.