Many Ontarians eschewing shopping in stores in favour of online shopping during pandemic
If you've found yourself physically going to stores to shop less since the pandemic started, you're not alone.
A recent survey from PayPal found that four out of five Ontarians said they are shopping in stores less now than they were before the pandemic.
According to the findings, the number of Ontarians shopping for groceries online has jumped to 35 per cent compared to just 18 per cent who said they did so before the pandemic--an increase of 83 per cent.
Further, moving forward, 85 per cent of Ontarians said they plan on continuing to shop online as much as they are now or more in the coming months, and 47 per cent said they plan on increasing the frequency with which they shop online.
According to those who are shopping online more, there are drawbacks that come with it.
One of the biggest downsides of shopping online according to the survey is the inability to personally pick out products--especially produce.
Fifty-six per cent of respondents said they would prefer to pick out products themselves, rather than have items selected for them.
Moreover, many Ontarians believe there are additional health risks associated with shopping online and having someone else pick out their items for them.
Ontario residents were more likely to view health risks as a deterrent to shopping online than residents of any other province in the country.
- Top 5 places for poutine in Hamilton
- Locke Street South: The cost of doing business on Hamilton's most popular block
- Ford's Oakville plant to build electric cars for years to come
- Girl may have died trying to save her horse near Hamilton
- COVID-19: Hamilton reports another COVID-19-related death, bringing the toll to 46
- Consumers flocked to online shopping as pandemic hit, with e-commerce sales up 99 per cent
- Tomorrow projected to be the busiest shopping day of the year
- Number of drivers shopping for car insurance declines during pandemic: report
- Tips for grocery shopping during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Many Ontarians trust Province's decisions during pandemic: survey