Lowe's Canada is closing 34 stores
Lowe’s Canada is shutting down what they refer to as “underperforming” stores across the country.
“While making decisions that impact our associates and their families is never easy, closing underperforming stores is a necessary step in our plan to ensure the long-term stability and growth of our Canadian business,” said Tony Cioffi, Interim President of Lowe’s Canada. “We are taking decisive action to build a healthy business which will provide us with the flexibility to reinvest in our future growth.”
The Mississauga RONA at Rockwood Mall is among those on the chopping block, as well as 33 others.
Jan. 31, 2020 is the scheduled closing date of RONA Mississauga.
“Following a detailed strategic review of its operations, Lowe’s Canada is announcing the following actions to improve performance and better position itself for the future,” said the company in a media release.
- Closing 34 underperforming stores to optimize its network;
- Undertaking a process to simplify multiple store banners to drive efficiency and reduce operational complexity;
- Reorganizing the corporate support structure across the country to better support store and customer needs; and
- Rationalizing the product assortment to present a more coordinated offering to Canadian customers.
Lowe’s Canada added that employees affected by the closures will be offered the opportunity to transfer to a nearby store. Reno-Depot in Aurora and Lowe’s in northern Etobicoke are also on the list of soon-to-be-closed locations in Ontario.
- Anyone caught violating the EMCPA will be fined between $750 and $1,000
- Hamilton's National Steel Car to suspend operations
- Hamilton's escarpment stairs are now closed until further notice
- VIDEO: Hamilton Paramedics give birthday surprise to 10 year old girl
- Police looking for 40-year-old man from Hamilton
- Starbucks closing some stores and moving to a to-go model in Canada in response to coronavirus
- All Carlton Cards stores closing across Canada
- Pier 1 files for bankruptcy protection, closing all Canadian stores
- Canadian Tire Corporation closing some stores, reducing hours for others
- Leon’s Furniture cutting half of its staff, closing 72 corporate stores