Hamilton Thanksgiving Monday 2023: What’s Open and Closed
Published October 8, 2023 at 11:06 am
This year in Hamilton, Thanksgiving Monday falls on October 9, 2023.
Thanksgiving has been officially celebrated as an annual holiday in Canada since Nov. 6, 1879.
On Jan. 31, 1957, Vincent Massey, Governor General of Canada, issued a proclamation stating, “A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the second Monday in October.”
Since then, the second Monday of October has been earmarked for the annual Canadian holiday and harvest festival.
Thanksgiving is a statutory holiday throughout the country, except in the Atlantic provinces of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick, where the holiday is optional.
Companies regulated by the federal government, such as those in the telecommunications and banking sectors, recognize the holiday everywhere.
Here’s what’s open and closed on Thanksgiving Monday in Hamilton.
- Movie theatres (some independent theatres may be closed)
- Some Shoppers Drug Mart locations (call ahead)
- Many restaurants are open on Thanksgiving but require reservations
- Convenience stores
- Major grocery stores
- Lime Ridge Mall
- Eastgate Square
- Jackson Square
- Government offices
- The Beer Store
- Hamilton Public Library
- Recreation Centre
- Most major grocery stores
- Civic museums
- Gage Park Greenhouse
- Government offices (If there is a matter that requires immediate attention such as vital services, or a health and safety concern, please call the City’s Customer Contact Centre at 905-546-2489)
- City Hall
- Libraries, Bookmobile and extended access services (the virtual branch is always open at hpl.ca)
- Community centres
- Canada Post (no mail pickup or delivery)
- Hamilton Farmers’ Market
- Community recycling centres
- City of Hamilton Animal Services office counter and shelter. For animal-related emergencies, call 905-574-3433.
- Housing Services office at 350 King Street E.
- Licensing and By-Law Phone Queue Line
- All Municipal Service Centres
- The Ontario Works Program, including the Special Supports Program
- Hamilton Municipal Parking System offices are no longer open to in-person services. Remote services (permits, disputes, etc.) will resume on Tuesday, Sept. 5.
- Parking control officers will not be enforcing from Sunday, Sept. 3 at 5:45 a.m. until Monday, Sept. 4 at 10 p.m.
- Public Health Services
- COVID-19 Vaccine Booking Line
- Dental Health Bus
- Provincial Offences Administration Office at 50 Main St. E. (online payments can be made anytime at www.hamilton.ca/pay-your-ticket)
Public Health Services holiday booking line hours:
- To report suspected reportable diseases and food poisoning, call 905-546-2063.
- To report environmental spills, fires, or other events that may be a health hazard or safety issue, call 905-546-2489.
- To report potential animal exposure to rabies, call 905-546-2489.
- Safe Water Program issues that may be a health hazard, call 905-546-2489 or visit www.hamilton.ca/safewater.
- HSR will work on a Sunday schedule
- GO Transit will run on a Sunday schedule
- DARTS will be operating holiday service hours. All subscription trips on DARTS, with the exception of dialysis trips, are cancelled for the Holiday. If passengers need to travel on this day, they must make a reservation in advance to do so.
- Garbage and recycling (blue box, green bin and yard waste) will be collected one day later
- Waste must be at the curb by 7 a.m. Community Recycling Centres will reopen on Tuesday
inthehammer's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising