Hamilton named among top under-the-radar foodie destinations in Canada
Well, Hamiltonians have known for a while but it seems the rest of the country is starting to realize the city's status as a destination for foodies.
Forbes has named Hamilton to be among the Top 7 under-the-radar foodie destinations you need to visit.
The report, published this past weekend, sung the praises of Canada's less well-known destinations for culinary delights and had some pretty effusive praise for Steeltown.
"It's no exaggeration to say that Hamilton offers one of Canada's top--if most unexpected--epicurean adventures," writes Forbes contributor Sandra MacGregor.
"The city has benefited massively from nearby Toronto's soaring cost of living, which has sent young would-be restaurateurs and ambitious chefs to Hamilton for an affordable way to make their names."
The eateries that get singled out in the article are The Burnt Tongue, Donut Monster, Brux House, Merit Brewing and Hambrgr.
McGregor points out that while the cities typically considered 'foodie destinations' are great, real foodies know that the best experiences take place a little off the beaten track.
Also on the list are Edmonton, Winnipeg, Quebec City, St. John's, Victoria and Saskatoon.
While the Hamilton hotspots singled out by Forbes are certainly among the cream of the crop in the city, they are just small sampling of what is happening here in terms of culinary delights.
Let's not forget that Berkeley North has earned a number of national accolades as being among the most romantic and vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Canada, according to OpenTable.com.
And if you want to know where to go for the best eats in Hamilton, check out our Top 5s.
Also, there are a number of food bloggers who have done much to put Hamilton on the foodie map and if you're interested in knowing more, give Steeltown Chowdown a follow on the Insta because their knowledge of the local food scene is second to none.
Another Hamilton foodie with an active social media presence who is a helpful guide to the city's culinary scene is Tastehamont.
- Police seize $1M in drugs, assault rifles from locker and home of Hamilton couple
- Hamilton up to 198 confirmed cases of COVID-19
- An update from the HWDSB
- Justin Trudeau says we won’t return to complete normalcy until a vaccine is produced
- Ontario reports 550 new COVID-19 cases, largest single-day increase so far
- These are the most popular travel destinations for 2020 according to Canadians
- Some of Canada's top employers are right here in Hamilton
- Hamilton Eatery Among Top 50 Restaurants in Canada for Vegetarians
- Hamilton restaurant among Canada's top 100 restaurants in 2019
- Canada ranked the second most popular tourist destination for Uber users