Hamilton Health Sciences, Mohawk partner with manufacturing firm to mass produce face masks
Burloak Technologies-a division of Samuel, Son & Co., Limited—has announced it will be providing protective gear for front-line workers combatting COVID-19.
The Additive Manufacturing company, located in Oakville, will be providing health-care workers with protective face shields that have been designed and tested in collaboration with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mohawk College.
Production is already underway, and the intention is to have 10,000 units available per week for the health-care providers treating Canadians during the pandemic.
“Additive manufacturing is an ideal process to scale any design to commercial production in the shortest time possible, and applying our capabilities in this battle is the right thing to do,” Colin Osborne, president and CEO of Samuel, Son & Co., Limited., said in a news release.
“NGen played a valuable role in the rapid response to get this project underway. Without this funding, it would not have been possible to achieve the same scale in this accelerated timeframe,” he continued.
Mohawk College will use the resources of its School of Health, as well as other organizations, to distribute these face shields both locally and across the country.
“This project will protect healthcare workers on the front lines of the pandemic, with a very real potential to save lives,” Ron McKerlie, President of Mohawk College, said in the same release.
“Mohawk College has a long tradition of collaboration with industry partners and we are proud to work with Burloak Technologies on this important initiative,” he continued.
Cover photo courtesy of @bjeaglefeather's Twitter
- Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Hamilton
- Hamilton grandmother to spoil grandkids with lotto winnings
- Police identify man killed in double shooting in Hamilton
- One man dead in double shooting in Hamilton
- Victim in fatal Burlington shooting identified as notorious Hamilton crime boss
- Hamilton firm is hub for manufacturing innovations supporting front lines in COVID-19 battle
- Mohawk College in Hamilton offering financial aid to students impacted by COVID-19
- Hamilton's Mohawk College named among Canada's greenest employers
- Hamilton Public Library and its partners making PPE for front-line workers
- Union calling on Feds to provide health-care workers with pandemic pay