Defending champion Forge FC to kick-off 2020 CPL season with title rematch
The Canadian Premier League announced its second season will officially get underway on April 11 when Hamilton’s Forge FC hosts Calgary’s Cavalry FC at Tim Hortons Field in a rematch of the 2019 inaugural CPL championship—won by Forge.
Canada’s only professional soccer league will see the benefits of a balanced schedule due to the arrival of Atletico Ottawa as the CPL’s eighth team; joining HFX Wanderers, Forge FC, York9 FC, Valour FC, Cavalry FC, FC Edmonton, and Pacific FC.
The Canadian Premier League says it consulted with fans before instituting changes for the 2020 schedule; including over 90 per cent of the matches being played on holidays or weekends, as well as more weeknight games taking place during the summer months.
“Our second season has a lot to look forward to,” said David Clanachan, Commissioner, Canadian Premier League. “Not only are we going to have a more balanced schedule, we are starting to establish a weekend culture for our fans with twenty-one Friday night matches and we have an eighth team for fans and supporters to come out and see both home and away.”
Home openers for this season are:
- Forge FC vs Cavalry FC - Saturday, April 11, 2020
- Pacific FC vs FC Edmonton - Saturday, April 11, 2020
- York9 FC vs HFX Wanderers - Monday, April 13, 2020
- FC Edmonton vs Cavalry FC - Saturday, April 18, 2020
- HFX Wanderers vs Atletico Ottawa - Saturday, April 25, 2020
- Cavalry FC vs York9 FC - Saturday, April 25, 2020
- Valour FC vs Atletico Ottawa - Saturday, May 2, 2020
- Atletico Ottawa vs HFX Wanderers - Saturday, May 16, 2020
“We are focused on establishing match-day traditions through our schedule that our supporters will want to adopt for this season and the seasons to come,” added Clanachan.
The Canadian Premier League will unveil its full schedule on Friday (Feb. 21).
- 'It's like a bad movie,' says Hamilton mayor of provincial COVID-19 modelling
- Hamilton family gifts $3.3M to local hospitals, researchers to help battle COVID-19
- Ontario extends business closures amid COVID-19 crisis
- Another Hamilton long-term care home has declared a COVID-19 outbreak
- Patients paying higher dispensing fees as pharmacists limit prescription amounts
- Hamilton's Forge FC releases full 2020 schedule as CPL announces new playoff format
- Hamilton Forge FC forward called to Canadian national squad
- Hamilton's Forge FC sells star midfielder to Belgian club
- CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie looking to keep Canadian football fans informed
- Inaugural CPL Championship brings local flair