BREAKING: Outbreak declared among staff of Hamilton hospital's special care nursery
An outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared among healht-care workers at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton's Special Care nursery, it was announced Monday (April 6).
Hamilton Public Health, together with St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton (SJHH), has declared a COVID-19 health-care worker outbreak at SJHH’s Special Care Nursery after three health-care providers who work at the unit tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, a press release from the City of Hamilton says.
One of the health-care workers had no direct contact with patients and families and the other two had either limited contact or contact while wearing a protective mask.
They were not symptomatic while caring for the babies or family, the release says.
Efforts are underway to ensure all babies, family members and staff/physicians who had direct contact with the positive health-care workers are tested and appropriate measures will be taken to limit transmission.
No babies or parents in the unit are symptomatic and all are being monitored closely.
Medical evidence so far indicates that babies typically experience mild symptoms and recover from the illness.
SJHH has created a separate space for infants who may have been exposed during this time period.
A deep cleaning of the unit is being done, the release says, and further infection prevention and control measures are in place.
The Special Care Nursery will continue to accept babies requiring care that are born at SJHH.
Photo courtesy St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton and Foundation Facebook page
- Ontario is giving drive-in movie theatres the clear to reopen
- Another major downtown Hamilton street to be converted to two-way
- Province introducing fixed electricity price to assist residents during COVID-19
- Canada-wide arrest warrant issued for 17 year old allegedly involved in fatal shooting
- Ontario to start allowing backcountry camping as COVID-19 restrictions ease
- 'Cluster' of health-care workers at Hamilton hospital test positive for COVID-19
- Outbreak of COVID-19 declared in unit of St. Peter's Hospital: Hamilton Health Sciences
- Hamilton hospitals look to hire health-care professionals to help in battle against COVID-19
- Outbreak at palliative care Hospital in Hamilton declared over
- Ontario to keep some child care centres open to help health care workers