Air Canada urging feds to ease quarantine restrictions for certain countries
Air Canada is urging the federal government to ease the Quarantine Act restrictions
Canada’s largest airline’s Chief Medical Officer is calling on the government to consider a science-based approach to easing restrictions, which have been virtually unchanged since March.
The airline is proposing replacing the quarantine requirements for countries with a low COVID-19 risk from a public health perspective with more proportionate, evidence-based measures and experiences from other countries.
Presently, the airline is not advocating for relaxing the U.S. border restrictions.
Additionally, Air Canada referenced other G20 countries that have implemented practical, evidence-based approaches to travel by minimizing the risk of COVID-19 exposure through a range of measures endorsed by medical professionals worldwide including:
- Determination of safe corridors or travel between approved jurisdictions with fewer cases on the basis of low risk from a public health perspective (an approach adopted in the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal among others)
- Requirement for a pre-departure, medically certified negative COVID-19 test in order to enter the country (Caribbean islands)
- Waiver of quarantine requirements following a negative test on arrival (Iceland, Austria, Luxembourg)
- Mandatory testing on arrival (South Korea, Hong Kong, Macao, United Arab Emirates)
- Hamilton truck driver wins big on $1 lotto ticket
- Hamilton man arrested after threatening to shoot girlfriend: police
- Police looking for missing 10 year old girl in Hamilton
- Onions sold in Hamilton recalled due to possible Salmonella
- Two-way conversion project in Hamilton's downtown closes more roads this week
- Here are the penalties you could face if you violate a COVID-19 quarantine order in Canada
- Some Canadian companies demand travelling employees self-quarantine amid COVID-19
- Concerns raised about COVID-19 quarantine rules for migrant workers
- New travel advisory urging residents to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada
- Tam: NHL proposal being ‘reviewed,’ mandatory quarantine remains in place