Air Canada revising refund policy with cancelled flight options
With the number of flight cancellations frustrating some travellers, Air Canada announced today that they're revising their goodwill policy to give passengers more options regarding changed/cancelled flights.
Under the new policy, new bookings made up to June 30, 2020 can be changed without fees for original travel between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021, the airline says.
In cases where Air Canada cancels flights due to COVID-19, customers with refundable tickets will continue to have the option of refunds. However, customers with refundable and non-refundable tickets will have two new options to choose from:
- An Air Canada Travel Voucher for the remaining value of their ticket that has no expiry date, is fully transferable and retains any residual value, or;
- The ability to convert the remaining value of their ticket into Aeroplan Miles, with 65 per cent more value versus the normal rate for buying Miles.
"The new goodwill policies and cancellation options are retroactive for customers with original travel between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021," Air Canada said.
Starting June 15, customers whose flights have been cancelled due to COVID-19 (and who have already received travel credit valid for 24 months) will be able to select one of the above options depending on their fare at Air Canada's website.
The airline has also released more details on its Summer 2020 schedule, with 97 destinations down from 220 last year. Within Canada, the schedule will increase from 34 routes in May to 58 routes in June, with more routes to be added in August and September.
"As part of the new schedule, in accordance with provisions for air travel to the U.S. for Canadians, Air Canada will resume service to the U.S. on May 22, with six destinations being served by May 25, including New York-LaGuardia, Washington-Dulles, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago," the airline said. "This is a reduction from 53 U.S. destinations served last year."
- Skies will be clear in Hamilton for optimal Perseid meteor shower viewing
- Passengers aboard several early-August flights to Pearson test positive for COVID-19
- UNSOLVED: No trace of missing Hamilton woman has ever been found
- New Caribbean-inspired eatery opens in Hamilton
- COVID-19: Hamilton reports 3 new cases as Ontario reports lowest daily case count 'in months'
- Porter cancels all flights through June as tanking travel demand bleeds sector
- WestJet and Air Canada waiving flight change fees due to coronavirus concerns
- Air Canada announces plans to suspend service in response to COVID-19
- WestJet expanding summer schedule
- These are the most popular travel destinations for 2020 according to Canadians