2024 budget process launched in Hamilton


Published October 30, 2023 at 1:43 pm

Hamilton has launched the public engagement section of it development of the 2024 budget to find out where residents’ priorities lie.

On Oct. 27, the city announced the dates for a series of public meetings to hear from residents about where they want to see Hamilton invest their tax dollars in over the next fiscal year. The first delegates will be able to speak to council and city staff on Nov. 6 during the General Issues Committee meeting. The next session is set for Jan. 16 during that month’s meeting.

Anyone who wishes to speak at the meeting can either directly email the city clerk or fill out an online form. All submissions must be filed by noon on Nov. 3. or by noon Jan. 12, respectively.

Delegates who wish to comment on the side of the budget funded by service rates, which mostly pays for the water network, should apply to speak in the November meeting. The city plans to approve that part on Dec. 13.

However, the larger part of the budget, funded by property taxes and user fees, is set for approval on Feb. 15. This budget section funds employee salaries, materials and supplies, contractual services, capital projects and the construction or purchase and financing of the city’s capital assets.

Hamilton takes the lion’s share of property taxes at 58 per cent. The other 42 per cent goes to

While community feedback does influence the budget process, it is also influenced by the city’s 2022 to 2026 priority list. This three-point plan prioritizes sustainable development, safe and thriving neighbourhoods, and building a more transparent and responsive government.

Mayor Andrea Horwath said, “Hamilton is facing a lot of budget pressures and input from the community is vitally important to make sure our resources are deployed to have the best impact for our city. I want to encourage Hamiltonians who live or work here to participate in this year’s budget process through public delegations.”


inthehammer's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising